2 Day Course - 10 Hours in Total
Who is it for? The Level 2 Award in Safe Moving and Handling is intended as an introduction to moving and handling activities for those starting work, returning to work or who need specific training in manual handling, as well as being a suitable qualification for refresher training. Delegates gaining this qualification will understand that moving and handling must be carried out correctly and will recognise its importance in ensuring a safer working environment.
Course Objectives By the end of the course the delegates will be able to:
- Understand the reasons for safe manual handling
- Understand how manual handling risk assessments contribute to improving health and safety
- Understand the principles, types of equipment and testing requirements associated with manual handling safety
- Be able to apply safe manual handling principles
- Injuries Associated with Incorrect Manual Handling
- Employers and Employees Duties relating to Manual Handling
- Consequences for Non-Compliance
- Hazards and Risks
- Carrying our a Risk Assessment
- Risk Control Hierarchy
- Safe Movement Principles
- Equipment designed for Manual Handling
- Testing, Servicing and Examination of Equipment
Delegates will be assessed through a practical examination through the duration of the course by the tutor, followed by a 15-questions multiple-choice question examination, the duration of which is 30 minutes. Successful delegates must achieve a score of at least 10 out of 15, in order to qualify and receive a certificate.
- Lifting an object from the floor onto a platform/table at waist height (lift from floor).
- Moving an object from a platform/table at waist height to a platform/table at waist height 1.5m apart (short distance move).
- Moving an object from a platform/table at waist height to the floor (lower to floor).
- Carrying a load over a distance of 5m negotiating a 90ø turn (carry a load with turn).
- Moving a load on equipment designed to be pushed over a distance of 5m, negotiating a 90° turn (push a load with turn).
- Lifting an object from the floor which requires more than one person to lift it (team lift).
- Carrying an object which requires more than one person to lift it, over a distance of 5m and negotiating a 90° turn (team carry).
- Lowering on object which requires more than one person to lift it from a 'carry' position to the floor (team lowering).
Progression Progression and further learning routes include:
- HABC Level 2 Award in Health and Safety in the Workplace
- HABC Level 2 Award in Moving People Safely